Before we proceed towards the process of- how to convert OST file to PST file, we would love to suggest you lend your eyes for a few minutes before knowing the solution. You should know what are OST and PST files, what the differences between both are and how they are used. Microsoft Outlook has categorized Outlook Date Files in two forms- OST file and PST file.
While the PST file is the file that includes data stored in your personal folder, the OST file is the folder that contains data downloaded off your Exchange Server. As outlook cannot directly import the data from the OST file. So if you want to copy your offline data to another computer, you can either construct the email client to connect to your server and create a new OST file. Or you can convert content to the PST format.
As the OST files stay on the user’s computer, so it remains unaffected by the Exchange Server crashes and disasters, and Exchange mailbox deletions, etc. This allows Exchange administrators and end-users to use the OST file to restore user mailbox data.
Why The Process To Convert OST To PST Is Helpful?
Below we have listed some of the situations when converting an OST file to PST file is helpful.
- When a few Exchange mailboxes get deleted from the server, there come PST files in rescues.
- When you need the backup of a few Exchange mailboxes.
- At times when an exchange user wants to rebuild his/her OST file, he/she has some unsaved data in OST file. By saving or converting it to PST file the user not only saves his/her data but can share it as well.
- EDB files are inaccessible due to Exchange corruption, Server crash, and because of more issues, and on the other hand, users want their emails urgently. Here the process to Convert OST to PST becomes helpful too.
What Are Ways To Convert OST File PST?
After knowing so many things about PST and OST files, now it’s time to discuss the ways of converting the PST file to the OST file. Well, there are so many ways to convert any OST file to PST file, some of the most common and widely used methods are mentioned here:
- Export mailbox data to PST
- Archive OST emails
Method 1: Export Mailbox as A PST File
Open your Microsoft Outlook and login with Outlook email id and password that you have used to create OST files. Now to carry forward the process of converting of OST to PST files follow the below steps:
- Go to Files, and click on Open & Export in the left corner.
- Next, select the Export to a file and then click Next.
- In the drop-down menu, select the second option “Outlook Data File”.
- “Select the folder to export item” window will get open on your screen and then click on the folder which you want to export the file and click Next.
- Now you are prompted to choose a location to save the new PST file. So select any one location in your system and click on “Do not export duplicate items”.
- If you want to provide a password to protect your PST file, then you can set the password, or can skip it.
Method 2: Use Archiving To Save OST Emails To PST
After enabling the option of archiving Outlook mails your OST file will get saved to a separate PST file. The step will help you in keeping the size of the mailbox at an optimum level by saving the older mailbox items in the archive folder. Follow the below steps to convert OST to PST:
- Open the Outlook application first, and then click on File and go to Options.
- Next, select Advanced and then click Auto Archive Settings.
- In the window of Auto Archive, set the number of days you want to run auto-archiving of the OST file. Now choose a folder to save the archived file and also provide the archiving options and to conclude click on OK.
- After doing these above steps your OST file will get saved to the PST file, according to the settings that you have made.